To Book an Appointment Call 905-793-1526
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- A chronic autoimmune disease in which the body attacks its own tissues.
- An inflammatory condition that affects the whole body resulting in heat, redness, swelling, pain, joint deformities and loss of function.
- May be caused by poor diet/digestion, food allergies, bacterial/viral infection, chemical exposures, genetic susceptibility, stress.
- A degenerative disease in which cartilage loses the ability to cushion the joint.
- Resulting in joint swelling and pain, OA may be caused by acute or chronic trauma or injury, or obesity (from excessive pressure on joints).
Naturopathic Diagnostic Tests
Tests can diagnose arthritis and also uncover causes and contributing factors, helping to determine the best treatment approach. Ask your clinician about the following tests, available at RSNC.
Intestinal Permeability Assessment Test
- This test determines whether you have "leaky gut", an increased permeability of the intestinal lining that can contribute to or cause arthritis.
Food Allergy Testing
- Food allergies may contribute greatly to the increased permeability of the gut. Some reactions occur immediately after ingestion or inhalation of an allergen, while other reactions are delayed. This blood test uncovers potential causes of allergic reactions and allergy related disease.
Oxidative Stress Profile Test
- This test evaluates the level of oxidative stress on your body, as well as your antioxidant reserves and liver function. By giving insight into your intra-cellular health, this test allows clinicians to individualize your treatment protocol and monitor your progress.
Rheumatoid Factor (RF) Test
- The presence of the RF autoantibody in blood is a clear indication that the patient suffers from rheumatoid arthritis.
Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) Test, and the C-reactive Protein (CRP) Test
- These tests reveal the presence of inflammation in the body and the activity of the disease.
Naturopathic medicine helps heal arthritis. By identifying individual triggers, NDs address the underlying cause(s) of RA and OA.
- Increase consumption of whole foods, and consider hypoallergenic, anti-inflammatory and/or alkaline diets.
- Overweight patients can benefit from weight loss.
- Omega 3 EFAs, antioxidants, digestive support, liver support, vitamins & minerals.
- Herbs can reduce inflammation and stress, and promote healing and detoxification.
- Herbs can be used in capsules, infusions (tea), tinctures, ointments, poultices, baths, steam inhalations, etc.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
- TCM is used by NDs to help balance qi (energy flow) to reduce illness and promote health. Interventions include acupuncture, acupressure and Asian herbs and foods.
- NDs use diluted doses of natural substances (plants, animals and minerals) to stimulate the body’s vital force and promote self-healing.
- Acute remedies help manage symptoms and constitutional remedies address the cause
- May be taken orally or applied topically.
- Massage, hydrotherapy, hot and cold treatments, orthopedic testing, spinal manipulation, ultrasound, etc.
- Physical therapies can reduce pain and stress, and support healing and detoxification.